Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Who's #1?

So, when you have a spare couple hours here or there, you've got time to catch some good TV. Since I have that kind of time lately, I watched VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the '80s the other day. Here's the top 10, with a few thoughts of my own. What do you think?

10. AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
Actually, I'd forgotten this song was actually in the '80s. It struck me as mid-to-late '70s. But it's 1980. And with that, it deserves to be on the list.

9. Aerosmith/Run DMC - Walk This Way
The song that started the "crossover" era.

8. Madonna - Like a Virgin
Wonder if this song would be quite as famous as it is if it wasn't for the VMA performance (both back then and the Britney one a few years back). Still, it's her biggest song ever, and so it has be here. No arguments.

7. Guns 'n Roses - Sweet Child of Mine
When you think classic '80s hair band power jam, this pretty much covers it. Probably could've been higher than where it ended up, in part because...

6. Hall and Oates - I Can't Go for That
...this song's here. Um, no. When they played this video, they should have played "Which one of these is not like the others" in the background. Just an awful choice. You're right, VH1, I can't go for that.

5. Prince - When Doves Cry
This song's a favorite of mine, at least in part because I think I heard it about 2,000 times living in Baldwin freshman year at Allegheny. And any time you can hear a song that reminds you of being 18 and being able to do whatever the hell you wanted, it's all good.

4. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
A classic. Arguably the best song off the biggest album of the decade. It's hard to top a CD that has 3 monster songs (Billie Jean, Thriller, Beat It), 2 underrated songs (Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and The Girl is Mine), and 2 huge guests (McCartney and Van Halen). Should have been higher.

3. Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf
A quality song, covered in amazing fashion by my boys Reel Big Fish (though if you want their best cover ever, it's Take on Me). If you want a less-known but equally strong Duran Duran song, check out "Wild Boys."

2. Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me
Though I'm hot, sticky sweet, from my head, to my feet, this song was never a huge favorite of mine. But a lot like Sweet Child of Mine, it's got that timeless vibe that tons of people like. It should be in the top 10, but I think I'd flip it with Billie Jean.

1. Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
The unofficial law school theme song. This song will still be killer 50 years from now.

Sadly, my personal favorite just missed the top 10, coming in at #11. Have no fear, though, your dose of Steve Perry is right here.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

It's ridiculous that you did not give me a shout out on "Livin' On a Prayer." I made that song the "unofficial" law school song. And, it was Red Sox, not law school, by the way.

Jerry said...

Any top 10 list from the 1980's that doesn't include the Cars is suspect.

rene said...

if you're giving shout outs -- sarah is the queen of 'pour some sugar on me.' who else makes such good use of the gman's sugar packets???

Lou said...

I guess I forgot to give the shoutouts. (Although I admit I didn't realize your role in Livin' On a Prayer, Danielle. My bad. But no one cares about the Sox.)

And I agree Jerry. It's a noticeable omission. Of course, you could pick pretty much anyone and come up with something better than Hall and Oates. I'd feel more comfortable with Party All the Time by Eddie Murphy.

rene said...

i don't feel comfortable with you feeling comfortable. ;)