Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Home Spun

Well, after months and months (and months) of inactivity, I figured it was time to give the blog another go. So, here's the 15 second recap of what you've missed since last time:

I graduated. I took and passed the bar. I finally moved back to Pittsburgh. I took a lot of vacations (where I drank a lot of fruity drinks). I'm looking (and looking) for a permanent job.

Caught up? Good. Here's the longer version:

Moving back home to western PA for the first time since I was what, 18, was definitely something I was stoked about. I figured I'd get settled, take the bar, pray that I passed, and then get a job after a couple months. After all, since I figured I was on the inside track with my old job, it'd be settled sooner rather than later.

Well, it didn't turn out that way. I made the mistake (which I realize now) of putting all my eggs in one basket, and, when the job inexplicably collapsed months later, it put me behind the 8-ball. So since then, it's been a game of catch-up. Which brings me to the next point: how freaking awful the job process is. Typically, I'm not the kind of person who likes to publicly "flaunt" my virtues - I know what I've done, and I don't particularly like to broadcast to the world why I think I'm "better" than others - it seems unnecessary. But unfortunately, when you're a law student who went to school in central PA and are trying to get a job back here (where you're behind another 8-ball if you didn't go to Pitt or Duquesne), you don't have much of a choice. So I've been in the market of whoring myself out with resumes and trying to sound as fantastic as possible. While there's been mixed results and promises of short-term gigs, there's nothing permanent yet.

And while I know the full-time thing's coming, it drives me crazy. The biggest trick is living at home. Yes, I love my parents, yes, you can't beat the rent, and yes, it's great being near friends you haven't lived near for seven years, but being a 26-year-old at home doesn't exactly light up my life. Especially in a county where the elderly population is mind-numbingly high, and there's no growth. As we hit downtown for St. Patty's on Saturday (an entertaining day all its own!), it made me realize more and more that it's where I need to be. There's nothing wrong with being in the Pittsburgh area...as long as you're actually in or near the city.

So the hunt goes on, and the interviews keep on coming. I know I'm going in the right direction...it's just a hell of a long road getting there.

1 comment:

rene said...

keep it up and i may allow you back on the sweetest things...

p.s. i think this was one of your best posts -- go lou!