Monday, February 06, 2006

SUPER STEELERS!!!!!


Wow. After 25 years (and 1 week), I finally got to see my Steelers win the Super Bowl and get that one for the thumb! I made the trek through the snow back to the 'Burgh. A big thanks to the 'rents, Ben, Ryan, and Chris for making it a party that I'll never forget.

As a sports fan, it's always your dream to see your favorite team come through and win it all. I guess as a Steeler fan, when we've been so close so many times, you've always got hope that we'll pull through, but it's never come to be. I can't tell you how many times me & Ryan have talked about what it'd be like if the Steelers or Pirates actually won a championship. Everyone who's older was spoiled by winning all the time in the '70s, so there was kind of a disconnect there. I think I asked my dad about five times last night how any of them got through 4 championships when just 1 was so stressful. But now, that's gone, and we're the champions! After watching everyone else, now it's OUR guys holding the trophy, it's OUR guys going to Disney World, it's OUR city having the Super Bowl parade. It's hard to know how to react. All we can do is party!

Even as I'm sitting here with my Super Bowl championship shirt on, it's only starting to sink in. What happens now? Does this mean we don't have to worry about the 4 championship games anymore? Tom Brady? Neil O'Donnell? Larry Brown?

But the best part is there's plenty of time to figure all that out. And there's never gonna be one like this again. For now, it's time to celebrate the Bus, Big Ben, and Hines for giving me the highlight of my sports fan life.

So for one last time this year, HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!! And let's make it #6 next year!

No comments: